- 2 large onions (grated)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2cm ginger root
- 3 green chillies (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 green pepper (deseeded)
- 1 apple (peeled and deseeded)
- 5 to 6 fresh tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- Bunch of broccoli (cut into small pieces)
- 1 large potato (cut into cubes)
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- Juice of half lime
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400ml hot water
- Generous bunch of chopped fresh coriander
Healthy Vegetable Curry
From the True Food Cookery Course
Serves 6 - 8
- Puree the garlic, ginger and green chilli in a mortar to make a paste. Heat the oil in a casserole dish and add the grated onions, fry gently to brown it but without burning it. Add now the paste and cook in a medium fire until the mixture leaves the pan.; Add now the curry powder and steer with a spoon for about a minute or until the powder is browning.
- Add the peeled and chopped tomatoes, the tomato puree, the mango chutney, the lime juice, the potato and cook for about 5 minutes (continuously steering). Add now the water with the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then turn the heat down and cover the dish with a lid. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add now the broccoli, the cauliflower, the pepper and the apple. Cook gently for about 20 minutes. Add the chopped coriander and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Serve on a bed of basmati rice.