Fruit Bread Fingers
From the True Food Cookery Course
This simple fruit bread makes an ideal healthy snack as it contains both fresh fruit as well as iron rich dried fruit. Children can join in, stirring in the dried fruit, beating the egg and mashing the bananas.
- 60g (2 oz) vegetable oil
- 125g (4oz) runny honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 125g (4oz) apples, grated
- 1 banana, mashed
- 90g (3oz) self-raising flour
- 60g (2oz) sultanas, dried cherries or cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 0C, 350 0 F, Gas 4.
- Cream the oil with the honey in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually beat in the egg.
- Mix in the grated apple, banana and flour; add the dried fruit. Add a little extra flour, if necessary, until a spoon stands upright in the mixture.
- Turn the mixture into a lightly greased 18cm (7in) shallow, square cake tin and level the surface. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly, and then lightly mark into fingers using a sharp knife.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin, and then cut into fingers to serve.