A recipe for using cheaper cuts of meat.
• 750g minced beef
• 175g pork sausage meat (or skin some sausages)
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
• 50g strong Cheddar, grated or 4 tablespoons hard Italian cheese (e.g. Parmesan)
• 1 heaped tablespoon tomato purée
• 2 tablespoons ground almonds (or breadcrumbs)
• ½ tsp chilli powder or paprika
• salt (about 1 teaspoon) and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas 4.
2. Put everything in a big bowl, get your hands in and mix it thoroughly.
3. Put into a greased 2lb/900g loaf tin, cover with foil and bake for about 1.5 hours.
4. Leave in the tin for ½ hour then turn out on to a plate.
5. Eat hot or cold.