Penne Pasta with Red Pepper and Bean Sauce
From the True Food Cookery Course
- 200g penne pasta
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- 2 x red peppers, chopped
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 1 x onion
- 1 x clove garlic
- 2 tbls. fresh basil
- 2 x tbls. Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- Black pepper to season
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Prepare ingredients: chop onion; crush clove of garlic; wash and rip basil leaves; wash and dice red peppers; grate cheese.
- Heat a large pan of water. When boiling, add pasta. Put lid on. When it returns to boil, lower heat and simmer for ten minutes, or as instructed on packet.
- Heat olive oil in saucepan. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent, but not brown.
- Add red peppers, heat through, stirring all the time, for a few minutes until softened slightly.
- Add tomatoes and kidney beans. Simmer on low heat for about ten minutes, with a lid on.Stir occasionally.
- To season: Stir in chilli powder, black pepper, vinegar. Stir in basil leaves.
- To serve: Drain pasta. Divide pasta between serving plates. Pour red pepper and bean sauce on top. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
Eat and enjoy!
Suggested serving: accompany with mixed green salad and garlic bread.