Recipe from Christmas Farm. This would be a really tasty and substantial lunch if served with cheese scones.
- 75g butter
- 500g onions finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 40g plain flour
- 600ml stock (Chicken or vegetable)
- 600ml milk
- 2-3tsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large carrot grated
- 4-6tbsp double cream
- 2tbsp parsley chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter and gently fry the onions and garlic until soft but not coloured.
- Add the flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil before adding the milk.
- Season to taste and add the allspice, the bay leaf and lemon juice.
- Stir in the grated carrot and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and heat gently but do not allow to boil. Serve.